Blue stained wood with crimson carnations

Friday, February 8, 2013

Impromptu Foodie Friday: Guacamole

Tonight I made Mexican for dinner and included a batch of guacamole to go along with the delish new Tostedos 'Cantina' chips that I picked up the other week. The guac turned out great and I was immediately sorry that I hadn't thought to photo the recipe as I was throwing it together so I could put it up here on the blog! Despite my lack of forethought I snapped a few shots of the final product and thought I'd go ahead and post the recipe anyway!


Guacamole
5 ripe avocados
2 T. sweet onion, finely minced (or grated)
2/3 cup plain yogurt
2/3 cup sour cream
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp granulated garlic (you could use 1 fresh clove, minced)
1 tsp. Frank's Red Hot Sauce

1/2 lime, squeezed (opt.)
1 tomato, seeded and diced fine (opt.)

Cut open the avocados and scoop the flesh into a mixing bowl. Mash the avocados with a potato masher until the consistency is part smooth and part chunks. Add all the remaining ingredients and give it all a good stir to combine everything.

Note about the optional ingredients: I listed these ingredients as optional because I did not put them in tonight's guac- if I had remembered that I did indeed have lime in my fridge I would have added it as it brings a nice back up singer to the party! ;) The tomatoes can be added if that is your taste- but for me I like my guacamole straight up without any goofy stuff. If you like your with- more power to ya!

Serve with tortilla chips or use as a spread on sandwiches or burgers! (Yum-o!)
To store, transfer to an airtight container and cover with a sheet of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the guac to keep it from the air, cover with lid. This guacamole will not get brown as quickly as some others and can sit open for some time during service.

Yield: 3 cups+, easy!

Eat Well!


2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious!! My sister Hannah is a big fan of gaucamole. I will have to make this for her. : )

    ReplyDelete

Give me a piece of your mind! ...Really, it makes my day!