Blue stained wood with crimson carnations

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

A Book of Gratitude

Last year a dear friend of mine committed to a year of gratefulness after reading the book "One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp. Every night she posted to her Facebook three things from that day that she was thankful for- and she inspired me. Seeing what a difference this made in her life- and by extension in my life- I purposed to follow her example this year and keep a journal of gratefulness.

My idea of what that journal would look like took shape when my favorite scrapbooking company, My Mind's Eye, posted this great chipboard book to their blog. Their book was a delightful, free form, whimsical book that gave great spaces for the journaler to write their thoughts. My books turned out more structured... but I think they still work. :) I ended up making three of these books- two identical ones to give at Christmas (one to my grateful friend), and one with the same cover but different papers for the guts for myself. There is one page (front and back) for each month. Each month is tabbed with a chipboard circle. All of the books are done almost exclusively with MME papers and embellishments.

Here it is...

The cover:
 



The inscription page:
Part of the inscription reads:

“Thou hast given so much to me,
Give one thing more, - a grateful heart;
Not thankful when it pleaseth me,
As if Thy blessings had spare days,
But such a heart whose pulse may be Thy praise.”
~George Herbert

 
A page:


Date stamp for the month:

Embellishment:

Fold out page with pocket:

Stamping along the edge:

Stickers:

Standing open:

Close up of the cover embellishment:


So there it is, hope you like it! I hope it inspires you. I hope you take a moment to be thankful to God for His gifts to you today. Although it is just February I know that it is already changing me and how I look at things. And I think that 365 Days of Gratitude are just going to be the beginning!

If you would like me to provide a detailed list of materials so you can put your own book together I would be happy to do that just leave me a comment below!
 

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Your journal is beautiful! I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The paper is from MME's "Lost & Found 3: Oliver" collection. I loved the combo too when I first saw them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My, this is so lovely! You did a beautiful job on the journal, and I especially love the colors you chose. This would be such a wonderful thing for me to try to; I will have to look into it!

    ReplyDelete

Give me a piece of your mind! ...Really, it makes my day!