Blue stained wood with crimson carnations

Thursday, September 6, 2012

"The Man on the Moon is Dead"



Photo by: Hannah L.F. August 1, 2012

 "The man on the moon is dead."
So proclaimed Doug Philips in his heartfelt and inspirational blog posting almost two weeks ago when famed astronaut and national hero Neil Armstrong passed away.

I have always been in love with the stars, the heavens, space. I truly is the 'final fronteer'. I hope I live to see it explored, and even colonized. It would be a truly remarkable feat! If I'm not too old I'd love to take a ride on one of those future commercialized flights around the Blue Marble. I would be awesome!
I don't know as much about Mr. Armstrong as I would like to but I do know what an amazing impact he had on a generation, or two, of Americans- and of people around the world. I know his impact on me. Today it seems that impact and that legacy has been forgotten- or more likely- never taught to the current generations. Following the news of Armstrong's passing is has been reported that a rash of posts on Twitter asked the question- "Who is Neil Armstrong?" -a question that boggles my mind!

Another thing I heard reported was a positive story, a story about a letter that Neil Armstrong wrote a number of years ago to a couple of siblings. The letter is great and full of history and promise- and really- a passing of the torch to a younger generation. The full text can be read here but I would like to quote a bit of it here in tribute to an amazing man.

May he rest in peace.
May we learn to guard our most precious possessions.
And may we someday reach for the stars once again.

"When I was your age, I read about fantastic voyages to the moon in books by H. G. Wells and Jules Verne, but they were just fantasy. I never could have guessed that people would fly into space during my lifetime. Even as a young adult, I would not have believed it. And you will not be able to predict the opportunities that you will have in your lifetime. Preparing yourself so you can take advantage of the changes you cannot predict is difficult. It is probably best to learn about a lot of different things.

In my work, I depended on many people. In spaceflight, whether it be a fellow crewman or flight controller in Mission Control on Earth, I was often trusting that person with my life. When you depend on others you want to be able to trust them. You will want to know that they say what they mean, and they mean what they say. And they will want to feel the same way about you. Your word should be beyond question.

There is much uncertainty to life. Good health may be taken away from you without warning. Material possessions may be lost due to circumstances beyond your control. The one thing that cannot be taken from you without your consent, is your character, which includes your beliefs, your ethics, and your principles. So guard them with care. They are your most valuable possessions.

The 21st century has much promise. Remarkable things may be created and achieved. And each of you will have the opportunity to play a role in achieving and creating a better world. I know you will try. Good luck!! I wish I had your future.

Sincerely,
Neil A. Armstrong" 




Photo by: Hannah L. F.
Taken August 24, 2012 the night before Armstrong died.



3 comments:

  1. Wow! Those are some impressive photos! Did you take them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Yes, I did! Thank you! I got a new camera at the end of July (a Canon Power Shot SX40 HS- which is just a really powerful point and shoot) that I have been loving testing out! I've always wanted to do moon photos and with the power on the zoom on this camera I can and I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When Andrew was doing an Ohio history project and we did research on Neil Armstrong, we were amazed at the things he accomplished as a young man, but also with his extreme reluctance to "cash in" on his moon fame. He was to the end a private citizen. He did do something for the moon landing anniversary, but that was very unusual. Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete

Give me a piece of your mind! ...Really, it makes my day!