Blue stained wood with crimson carnations

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Foodie Friday: Iced Caramel Coffee

And we're back!

Long time no recipe huh? Well, this week I have a cool (haha) recipe that hopefully will hit the spot! I've never been one who liked- much less loved- coffee but when I was in Culinary I started drinking Strabucks Frapps as it was my sole means of caffination! ;) Since my Culinary days I've been an occasional coffee sipper and have grown to the point of enjoying a cup- hot or cold- under the right coffee-to-additions circumstances! I have also become totally converted to Dunkin Donuts coffee- a phenomena that does (believe it or not) predate my sister working there... 
Speaking of, now would be the time to let a bit of a cat out of the bag *ahem* - Unless you buy Dunkin coffee at Dunkin it's not real Dunkin. That's right that stuff in the orange bags on the grocery store shelves is not real Dunkin coffee- it's Folger's.
So- buy the good stuff and make your taste buds happy!

Without further ado...



Iced Caramel Coffee 

8 cups cold water
1/2 cup ground Dunkin Donuts original coffee
1 cup + 3 T. sugar

Ice
2 tsp. caramel sauce (I'm using Smuckers Plate Scrapers dessert sauce but you can use any ice cream topping sauce, etc.)
Cream, to taste (I've used about 1 T. per glass) 






Begin by setting up the coffee maker with the ground coffee in the brew basket and the water in the reservoir. Brew the coffee to your taste and your coffee makers instructions.

(For me I brew on the strong setting and then fill the reservoir with the brewed coffee and run it through again. This is just because the coffee maker in question is not mine and simply does not heat the water hot enough to produce a decent cup. By the time its gone through twice I'm in business! This step is of course not needed if you have a good coffee maker ;) )




While the coffee is brewing add the sugar to a sealable pitcher. I use Lock & Lock because it's awesome and airtight!  Once the coffee is brewed add it to the pitcher and stir to dissolve the sugar- this will only take a minute because the coffee should be piping hot! 

From here you have two choices- the wise thing to do would be to stash the hot coffee in the fridge and chill it down- but you may be impatient like me and be dying for your cafination- so let's charge ahead!!

Get yourself a nice glass (because a nice glass always makes a happier drink!) and fill it up all the way with ice cubes. I'm a firm believer the secret to a good iced coffee is getting it as cold as possible- and that means as much ice as possible! Add the caramel sauce on top. Now if you are not a caramel person and you want you can certainly change it up here and add your favorite flavored coffee syrup or a shot of chocolate syrup- go for it and make it your own! 




Add the coffee and then top it off with a bit of cream. (Right here it looks like a ton of cream but it just spread out a lot in the coffee!) Give it a stir and pop in a jaunty straw and you're ready to go!  Stash the rest of the cold coffee back in the fridge and use it for drinks throughout the week- it should keep about that long and make about another 6 drinks depending on how big a glass you use and how much ice you use!  

Eat Well!



3 comments:

  1. Hi Hannah,

    You have been awarded and tagged here: http://ednaearlsewing.blogspot.com/2012/10/liebster-award.html

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! Thanks for the tag! I'll be reposting it soon!

    ReplyDelete

Give me a piece of your mind! ...Really, it makes my day!