Blue stained wood with crimson carnations

Monday, September 3, 2012

Monday Meme: Question Six

I'm really glad that this question is one of the final ones of this meme because it's taken me all this time to puzzle over and think over and figure out the answer!

Question #6

"If you could invite five people to dinner, living or dead, who would they be and why?"

  1. Patrick Henry- Founding Father, exceptional Christian, wise and gentle man, all around amazing statesman. I think he would be a great cornerstone to any dinner party! He would be a total gentleman in manners and conversation but he would also be a great person to talk to about politics- past and present- and I think he would have much to say on the state of things in 2012! I would also like to have him as a first person witness and story teller about life in the late 1700's- an era I really enjoy!
  2. Jane Austen- Sharp-witted female writer of the late 1700's whose six published novels inspire devotion in many who see the foibles and virtues of her characters reflected in their own lives today. Jane is one of my all time favorite writers so I would love to have her to dinner! She would be an interesting counterpart to Henry as they come from the same era (an ocean apart)- but are both fiery people and I think no matter her being a woman they would get into a heated conversation provoking some interesting responses and interactions! I think Jane would be greatly surprised (but pleased as punch) to learn that her books have survived and that her writings of plain everyday life and family are as true today as they were then! 
  3. John Calvin- Pastor, author, Christian apologist and linchpin of the Reformation; his clear articulation of Scriptural principals in the study notes for The Geneva Bible were the foundation for the Pilgrims and then the Founders establishing a new country based on the Bible. I would want to invite Calvin because I could pick his brain on how Scripture and faith integrated into one's everyday life and politics. I think he and Henry would have a great conversation together but I don't know how he would like the 'combustable' women at the table!
  4. Julia Child- American cook and foodie who 'Mastered the Art of French Cooking' teaching and inspiring (probably) millions of people to experience food and cooking in a new way; also, was a spy during WWII. One of my favorite quotes from Julia says:“Maybe the cat has fallen into the stew, or the lettuce has frozen, or the cake has collapsed. Eh bien, tant pis. Usually one's cooking is better than one thinks it is. And if the food is truly vile, then the cook must simply grit her teeth and bear it with a smile, and learn from her mistakes.” It's such a true thing! Julia and I would have a great time discussing the food and I'm sure that she would point out ways to make things better and would just love the Pavlova, or chocolate cake, or custard that I would serve for dessert! 
  5. Stephen Bly- American writer of historical and contemporary westerns, and Christian living books; pastor, small town mayor, guy I would have liked to meet. I started reading Bly books when I was young and never looked back! Mr. Bly had an exceptional style when it came to writing his characters- I really do think they spoke to him because dialog in his books was never forced and stilted but reflected the characters as true people- and he had an uncanny ability to write female characters accurately! He would be a great addition to the dinner party because he could talk writing with Austen, politics/government with Henry, Scripture with Calvin, and a little bit of cooking too with Julia and me! He had humor and heart and wisdom- and that is never something to turn down at any dinner table!

 
So, who would you invite for dinner?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me a piece of your mind! ...Really, it makes my day!