Blue stained wood with crimson carnations

Friday, March 1, 2013

Literary Heroine Blog Party

Just a little while ago I found out about this really cool blog party going on at Accordion to Kellie and I fell in love with her blog and the questions she was asking for the party so I thought I'd jump in and give it a go and (hopefully) make some new friends in the process!

If you're new take a look around and if you like what you see I'd love it if you followed me! Just hit the little button on the sidebar! >>>> :)

The Questions!

The Literary Heroine Blog Party Link up:
(*To those of you who participated in earlier years, it is fine with me if you reuse some of your answers over again!*)
 
~ The Questions ~

1. Introduce yourself! Divulge your life's vision, likes, dislikes, aspirations, or something completely random!
When updating my Pinterest page recently and finally adding a description I wrote: "Daughter, sister, teacher, baker, blogger, lover of all things reading and writing, part time scrapbooker, full time geek." I think that covers things well! :)

2. What, to you, forms the essence of a true heroine?
Some combo of strength and dignity I think. A heroine is brave about not just the extraordinary circumstances of life but the very ordinary ones too. She has wit and grace and is someone you want to look up to and be your friend all at the same moment. She knows what is important and embraces it; she knows what is trivial and tries to purge it from her life. She is warm, good natured and can laugh at herself. She speaks her mind firmly- but with love. She is compassionate towards others. She exceeds her own expectations simply because she is allowing herself to be led by God.

  
3. Share (up to) four heroines of literature that you most admire and relate to.
Hmm...not sure if these should be classic or modern so I'll include two of each. Anne Sherley from the "Anne of Green Gables" series, and Anne Elliot from "Persuasion", then  Julianna Ortiz from "The Outlaw's Twin Sister", and Libby Sawyer from "The Rose of Winslow Street". 

4. Five of your favorite historical novels?
"Anne of the Island" and "Kelmany of the Orchard" by LM Montgomery, "Cheaper by the Dozen", "Sense and Sensibility", and "Pollyanna". 

5. Out of those five books who is your favorite main character and why?
Ohh, I don't know- it's hard to say! If I'm really truthful Anne is my ultimate heroine, period. Simply because of her loving life- troubles and all with abandon, and for teaching me the importance of my imagination and letting the little things go. But I also love Elinor Dashwood for being true and strong and brave despite grief and disappointment, and for loving with all her heart and protecting those she loves.   


6. Out of those five books who is your favorite secondary character and why?
Colonel Brandon- he is not the expected hero but he fits the bill well! He is a noble, honorable man that deserved the chance to be loved and to love.

 
7. If you were to plan out your dream vacation, where would you travel to - and what would you plan to do there?
Oooh! this one is good! This one is obvious and delectable for me- Scotland. Land of the brave and home of my ancestors! I would, if I could, see everything from Gretna to the Shetlands- and never stop in between! I want to see the Highlands and Nessie and the Tattoo at Edinburgh Castle and the little highways and byways for the country! And of course, I will be delighted to see all my family that lives there!

8. What is your favorite time period and culture to read about?
I love the rough and tumble of the American West, the strength and gentility of the Reconstruction period; and the romance, elegance and homeyness of the Edwardian era.


9. You have been invited to perform at the local charity concert. Singing, comedy, recitation - what is your act comprised of?
Recitation! I think I would do a long poem or stirring address. I might even do "The Highwayman" complete with Anne's dramatic flair!


10. If you were to attend a party where each guest was to portray a heroine of literature, who would you select to represent?
Lizzy Bennett is a good possibility.... But I'd like to do something unexpected too but I can't think of anyone that other people would know!

11. What are your sentiments on the subject of chocolate?
Love. Chocolate is love in edible form. Especially if that edible form is Longhorn's chocolate cake! Mmmm.


12. Favorite author(s)?
Shakespeare, Austen, Dickens, LM Montgomery, Stephen Bly, Tamera Alexander, Tricia Goyer, Nancy Moser, Susan May Warren.

13. Besides essentials, what would you take on a visiting voyage to a foreign land?
My digital camera! Could not live without that on a trip! But I would also take something for fun like a hat or big quilt for picnics.

14. In which century were most of the books you read written?
19th the century of expectation and change and possibility!

15. In your opinion, the ultimate hero in literature is…
While Darcy or Gilbert Blythe is a tempting pick here I think I have to go with Mr. Thornton. Thornton is the most honest and true hero; he has through determination and hard work raised himself and his family up out of poverty. He has the power to make or break the men who work for him but he refuses to put them at risk choosing his own risk and ruin instead. He is unwilling to compromise on principle. He wants to learn and better himself as a person. He has a total heart of gold that hides beneath his businessman's demeanor and Northern ways. He is willing to make himself vulnerable in an effort to understand the woman he has fallen in love with. He's perfect. Just perfect! (And it doesn't hurt that RA plays him.)


16. Describe your ideal dwelling place.
See this post!

17. Sum up your fashion style in a short sentence.
I try to be timelessly traditional, with Celtic and western flair that shows my personality. Also, the word Purple.

18. Have you ever wanted to change a character’s name?
I would say yes, occasionally, but I can't think of an example! I just dislike when a writer picks something that goes beyond memorable to ridiculous.

19. In your opinion, the most dastardly villain of all literature is...
??? Maybe the Phantom from the Phantom of the Opera- even though I really want him to be a tortured misunderstood hero. (Yes, I'm really sad that way.)


20. Three favorite Non-fiction books?
"The New Food Lover's Companion" the ultimate dictionary/guide for foodies and cooks! "What He Must Be" by: Dr. Voddie Baucham, a guide to aspire to. "Joyfully at Home" by: Jasmine Baucham, a guide to live by.

21. Your duties met for the day, how would you choose to spend a carefree summer afternoon?
Reading, in a sunny spot with lots of pillows and cushions, and a Dr. Pepper, and snacks- probably cookies. Mmmm!

22. Create a verbal sketch of your dream hat - in such a way as will best portray your true character.
Voluminous, ethereal, lacy and purple- like violet or lilac. Think the Ascot races in My Fair Lady.

23. Share the most significant event(s) that have marked your life in the past year.
Becoming an Auntie, having a bad flair-up, loosing my business name, drama!, thinking about running away to Scotland, friends.

24. Share the Bible passage(s) that have been most inspiring to you recently.
 
 

  And that's all she wrote...

7 comments:

  1. Hannah,

    I joined the blog party too! It was so much fun. I love an excuse to talk about books. : ) Some of the authors you mentioned are new to me. I will have to look them up.

    Recently my sister signed me up with pintrest. Could you send me a link to your pintrest boards? I would love to follow you there.

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always want the Phantom to be a tortured, Byronic hero too -- but he's not. Especially not in the book. But Gerard Butler almost made him one :-)

    That's it, I'm reading "North and South" next, after the books I have from the library already. Everyone in this party keeps raving about Mr. Thornton, and I need to see what all the fuss is about.

    Your hat sounds very fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know! There were parts in the book that made my heart bleed for him, then turn in absolute loathing... but I have to admit during that last scene (in the book) where he's talking to the Persian and says "Don't look at me, Derroga! I'm coming out!" My sister and I laughed ourselves silly... Poor Erik. ;D

      Delete
  3. @Sarah- I don't know how I missed this but I haven't been following your personal blog- just the Scarlett Threads one! I have now corrected this!! I am glad that I caught this link-up party- it is a good excuse to talk books!
    My Pinterest page is at http://pinterest.com/aladyintime/ I had meant to link that above and forgot! :)

    @Hamlette- Yes, in the book the Phantom is definitely a true villain. I just love that in the movie he did get to be the 'almost hero'. I think that the portrayal of Raoul in the film was a bit on the emasculate side and so you are drawn to the stronger personality of the Phantom. But...I do still love the movie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful Hannah! So glad you joined!
    I love the time periods you chose - three of my very favorites, too.
    Haha... I seriously thought of running away to Scotland last year, too... perhaps someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way, I'm giving you the Liebster Award! Read my post here for details :-)

    ReplyDelete

Give me a piece of your mind! ...Really, it makes my day!